A Prayer following the EU referendum

Posted by Karen Soole Karen Soole

Father

We acknowledge your sovereign rule. We know that our true hope is in knowing the peace that comes through your Son. We look forward to the day when his just and perfect rule is seen by all nations and every knee will bow before him.

We thank you that you establish earthly rulers for our good, that they can work to serve their people and provide peace, stability and justice. Thank you for the peace and stability that we have enjoyed for many years in the UK as well as Europe. We thank you for this tremendous blessing; forgive us for so often taking it for granted.  We ask Lord for your continued provision and protection for us that in this time of political change you will help all those in authority to govern wisely that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. We pray that you will use these events to create more opportunities to share the good news of Jesus with others. We know that you desire all people to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth and so we pray that the consequences of this last week will be for the eternal good of many.

These last weeks have shown us how divided we are as a nation. Many harsh words have been said. We have been quick to accuse and make harsh judgements on one another. Many are hurting and feel rejected, others feel falsely accused and belittled. We ask in all of this you will protect the unity of your people. Teach us how to love one another even when we disagree politically. Forgive us when we have said harsh and unkind things about those with whom we disagree. Empower us to love those with whom we disagree. Guard our tongues in conversations and give us self control as we use social media. We pray that you will enable the Church to be a light to a fractured hurting country.

We pray for all Christians in parliament, both elected and unelected, whatever their political convictions may they be guided by their commitment to you and work energetically for compassionate justice. We pray that you will raise up more Christian leaders who will seek to serve for the sake of others in every section of our society. We know politics is a hard and difficult place for Christians to survive in and we pray that you will sustain those who love you and help them to  remain in you and continue to conduct themselves in godliness and holiness.

And in the words of a prayer following the EU referendum from the Church of England:

Eternal God, Light of the nations,
in Christ you make all things new:
guide our nation in the coming days through the inspiration of your Spirit,
that understanding may put an end to discord and all bitterness.
Give us grace to rebuild bonds of trust
that together we may work for the dignity and flourishing of all;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen

1 Comment

Andy J Andy J

Re: A Prayer following the EU referendum

Amen